Reporter Jerry Smith walks Pit Road before the NASCAR playoff race at Dover’s Monster Mile on Sunday, Oct. 7.
Jerry Smith, The News Journal
Splash and Go, a lager made by Dover’s Fordham & Dominion Brewing Co., celebrates the 50th anniversary of Dover International Speedway. (Photo: Courtesy of Dover International Speedway)
Miles the Monster is about to get his very own beer.
The Dover International Speedway’s mammoth mascot can be found on cans of the new Splash and Go lager. It’s a brew made by Dover’s Fordham & Dominion Brewing Co. to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the racetrack, The News Journal has learned ahead of Thursday afternoon’s official announcement.
Splash & Go will get its own beer release party on Thursday, Jan. 31, at 6 p.m. in the Winner’s Circle restaurant at Dover Downs Hotel & Casino (1131 U.S. 13, Dover).
What Delaware bars have best food and drink specials for Eagles game? We found out.
The wheels on the bus go beer, beer, beer: Beer tour biz starts in Delaware.
The party is open to the public with Splash & Go pints selling for $5. All visitors who buy a pint will receive a free Splash & Go pint glass while supplies last.
Splash & Go is named for the pit road strategy of drivers making a quick pit box stop for just enough fuel to finish a race.
Fordham & Dominion’s Splash and Go lager will be officially released at a Dover Downs Hotel & Casino party Jan. 31. (Photo: Courtesy of Dover International Speedway)
“The team at Fordham & Dominion Brewing Co. has been great to work with on this project, and we’re excited to now see Splash & Go arrive in liquor stores, bars and restaurants this month — and in the hands of fans during our spring and fall race weekends,” Dover International Speedway President and CEO Mike Tatoian said in a statement.
The “easy-drinking” lager clocks in with a 4.2 percent ABV and New Castle’s NKS Distributors have already picked up two pallets of cans and 10 kegs, so the beer could start touching lips any day now across the state, says Fordham & Dominion’s LuAnne Shockley.
A few things to sip on
• For specific locations where Splash & Go will be sold, go to fordhamanddominion.com.
• Bars and restaurants serving the beer will be using specially-made tap handles topped with Miles hoisting a beer.
• The Jan. 31 launch party also will include a “Splash & Go Spectacular” horse race as part of Dover Downs’ regular live harness racing card. Post time for the first race is 4:30 p.m. with the “Splash & Go Spectacular,” the ninth race of the evening, scheduled for an approximate 7 p.m. start.
• The first batch of Splash & Go was canned in late December — the first line of beers produced on a new, state-of-the-art canning line recently installed at Fordham & Dominion.
Chase Elliott, front left, poses with the trophy in Victory Lane after he won a NASCAR Cup Series auto race, Sunday, Oct. 7, 2018, at Dover International Speedway in Dover, Del. (AP Photo/Nick Wass) (Photo: Nick Wass, AP)
• The track will feature two NASCAR triple-header weekends (May 3-5 and Oct. 4-6) and every Monster Trophy in 2019 will be gold-colored as a symbol of the 50th anniversary.
• It was July 6, 1969, when NASCAR driver Richard Petty won the first NASCAR race on the Monster Mile.
• More 50th anniversary announcements and events will continue throughout the year and both race weekends will feature special appearances by legendary drivers, free concerts and an expanded game-filled FanZone to help mark the occasion.
Contact Ryan Cormier of The News Journal at email@example.com or (302) 324-2863. Follow him on Facebook (@ryancormier), Twitter (@ryancormier) and Instagram (@ryancormier).
Betting on NASCAR comes to Dover International Speedway for the first time
Wawa coffee beer is now a thing thanks to 2SP Brewing Co. in Pa.
Read or Share this story: https://www.delawareonline.com/story/life/2019/01/10/dover-international-speedway-unveils-50th-anniversary-monster-mile-beer/2534756002/